Monday, April 28, 2008

Why Didn't I Think Of This Sooner?

Over the weekend, we started doing two things we should have been doing for a while - using the pack-n-play and using the pacifier clip. Rhea is at a point where she wants to sit on her own and play with her toys. She prefers to be on the floor or somewhere where she can reach for the toys she wants. This is great, except that we have all hardwood floors, so it is a little scary to put her on the floor and let her play. If she falls, which does happen from time to time, it would hurt. So, on Saturday, we finally thought that we could put the pack-n-play together and let her sit in there and play. We put it in our kitchen and she loved it. She stayed in there for almost an hour, which with her short attention span is forever. During that time, we stayed in the room, but we were able to take care of some things, like the dishes or getting dinner together, while she played. We will still let her have floor/tummy time, but we will definitely be using the pack-n-play for playtime.

The other moment of brillance we had this weekend was to use the pacifier clips that up until Sunday were sitting in a drawer in Rhea's room. Rhea uses a pacifier at times throughout the day...mostly when she is tired. However, sometimes it is fun to take the pacifier out and throw it, then two seconds later when she wants it back, she can't find it. This happened in the car on the way back from driving memere home on Saturday. It was just me and Rhea in the car, so I had to listen to her cry/scream for 10 minutes or so before she finally fell asleep without the pacifier. It was at that time that I decided to break out the clips. Yesterday was errand day for us and it was so nice to not have to worry that Rhea was going to take her pacifier and lose it in the car or worst, throw it on the gross floors at the stores we were at. She is still getting used to the fact that her pacifier is clipped on her shirt, but we had no trouble when she was getting tired in the grocery store finding what she was looking for.

So, I will file both of these under things I wish I had thought of sooner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pacifier clips are great aren't they? wait till she figures out how to get the pacifier off the clip...Arwen figured that one out by accident, and now takes it off when she gets mad and throws it. Oh well, that's what they make spares for. I swear I have a pacifier in every room and 1 in the car just in case.