Thursday, September 25, 2008

One Year Check Up

Today Rhea had her 1 year checkup with her doctor. When we got there we had about 15 minutes to wait and for the first time ever, Rhea spent that time playing with the toys. It was nice to see how big she is now, but all I could think was how many sick kids touched those toys? So, every time she would look away, I would swoop in and clean her hands...I can't help it, I've turned into a germaphobe!

Anyway, the appointment went well - Rhea is now 19 pounds, 13 ounces (in the 25th percentile) and 30 inches (in the 75th percentile). Her doctor was very pleased with Rhea's development and Rhea was all smiles while we were there, which made her doctor happy to see that her social skills have developed as well. She had to get a vaccine today and she did surprisingly well. She cried a little, but it was almost an afterthought. The needle was in her leg and the nurse was about to remove it when Rhea made a little noise. No tears though, which made it easier for me to handle as well!

The doctor gave us the go ahead to move Rhea to whole milk, which I am excited about it. So excited that we stopped at the grocery store on the way home and bought whole milk. Rhea, however, does not seem to share my excitement. She didn't like the whole milk at all. I tried to give her a little in her sippy cup at dinner and she took maybe 3 or 4 sips, making a face each time. After her bath, I tried to mix the milk with a little water/formula, but Rhea wanted nothing to do with it. So, I had to go back to the formula for the night bottle, since I don't want her up and hungry in an hour. As I think about it now, I wonder if she is having trouble because the milk is cold and she is used to things being warm/room temperature. Maybe tomorrow we will try warming the bottle with the milk in it...

While I was there, I asked the doctor about Rhea's sleep issues and she said it isn't anything to be too concerned about. She said that we definitely need to give her time to soothe herself before going in to her room. If we do have to go, she told me to tend to her, but do not make eye contact and do not smile at her...she said we basically want her to know we are there for her, but we don't want to make it such a pleasant experience she wants us to stay or wants to do it again. I'll try, but that sounds almost as hard as ignoring the crying!

1 comment:

MARY-ANN said...

When my niece was switched to milk she didn't like it either but my sister warmed it up a little like you said and also added a touch of Hershey's Strawberry Syrup and then she would drink it and then eventually my sister heated it up a little less and less each time and phased out the Strawberry Syrup