Wednesday, September 30, 2009

2 Year Check Up

Last night, we took Rhea for her 2 year check up. In addition to getting a physical, we also had to answer a long questionnaire about her behaviors and any concerns we have. The good news - we don't have any concerns, she is healthy and she is on track physically and developmentally. (I could have told you all that, but it's nice to get the official medical opinion as well!)

So, at 2 years old, Rhea officially weighs 26 pounds and is 33 1/4 inches long. She is in the 50th percentile for both her weight and height.

In addition to her regular physical, I was happy for this doctor visit because Rhea's cold has developed into a bad cough. In fact, the past few nights she has coughed through the night, so I was relieved to get a chance to get it looked at. Sure enough, she is now on medication to help with what is a bacterial infection. She is taking Azithromycin and Singulair. We also have to once again use the nebulizer a couple of times a day until the cough goes away. The doctor said we should see things clear up pretty quickly.

Overall, Rhea enjoyed the visit. She loved sitting on the examination table and she was fascinated with the different equipment the doctor used to check out her eyes, her ears, her heart, etc. It was all a fun time until the end, when it was time for shots. What torture. She got 3 shots - 2 vaccines and 1 flu shot. Each one was worst than the one before it -Rhea screamed and cried and then looked right at her doctor and said "I don't like that." I didn't like it either. That's one of the hardest things I have to do is watch my child be upset, but at least it's fast and she got over it pretty quickly.

We'll go back to the doctor's in about 6 weeks so she can check on Rhea's cough/cold and so Rhea can get the swine flu shot (more torture). Here's hoping she stays healthy until then.

No comments: