Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Sleep

Or should I say lack of sleep?? Last night was a LONG night for the Snow family. Rhea had no problem falling asleep in her bassinet at 9. However, she didn't stay asleep long. At 11, she woke up and I was able to comfort her and get her to go back to sleep...for an hour, before she was back up again. This time, we changed her and fed her a bottle. I then tried to put her back to sleep, but she wanted no part of it until 2 when she finally went back down, only to wake up again at 5!

I'm not sure what the problem is. I wonder if her belly aches now that she is eating a lot more than before. Or could it be the beginning of teething? I'm sure part of it is that she doesn't want to sleep in her bassinet - she wants to sleep in mommy or daddy's arms.

Rhea has always preferred to be held and when we came home from the hospital that's what we did - all day and all night. She didn't sleep in her bassinet until she was 2 months old. Looking back, I know this was probably not the best thing to do, but I loved holding her so much...

Now, we are all paying the price for it. IF Rhea does sleep, she usually needs to hold my hand or feel my hand on her stomach. While this is OK now, I'm worried that I will never be able to move her to her crib. I am not a fan of just letting a baby cry it out - I just don't think I'm capable of that. So, for now, we will continue to try and work on this every night and I am off to the bookstore to get a book called the No Cry Method to Getting Your Child to Sleep Through the Night.

I just hope all of us can get by on a few hours sleep until we are able to figure out the problem and fix it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it was something going around!!! Arwen pulled pretty much the same thing the last 2 nights. Coffee is such a wonderful thing. Rhea....go to sleep for Mommy and Daddy.

mccashew said...

I can't let Caroline Cry it Out either. We noticed that there were some sleep issues that weren't there before when Caroline was Rhea's age. It is all such a guessing game; teething, needing comfort? WHO KNOWS. She is at an age where they learn how to self-soothe themselves back to sleep. I promise it gets better. We stuck to a strict (and it was very hard!) 10 minute rule for middle of the night wake ups. If she cried for more than 10 minutes we would go and get her.