Thursday, August 27, 2009

Show And Tell

Lately Rhea has wanted to take something with her to school. Last week, it was her "Fuzzy Bear Gets Dressed" book. Earlier this week, it was her Winnie the Pooh color cards that have Winnie on one side and different colors and shapes on the other. Then, this morning she brought three of her Sesame Street books - Big Bird, Elmo and Oscar - with her.

The funny part is that I see her classmates showing up with different things every day too. Griffin walked by us holding a magazine of some kind this morning. The other day Aubrey brought a doll with her. It really is like show and tell for them because as soon as we get in the door of the classroom, Rhea holds out whatever she has so everyone can see it and then they all crowd around her to look at it! It's so funny.

Her teacher told me that whenever they bring in books from home, they read them during circle time, so I guess it gives them a time to shine in front of their peers. It's funny how early in life that becomes important. So, that's why I let her bring her books or toys to school - because I can see how important it is and what she gets from it. Even though part of me is thinking, "I hope that doesn't get ruined!"

It makes sense too - they spend a lot of time together, so why wouldn't they want to share their favorite books with each other? And they definitely know each other. In fact, they all know each other's names now. That's another thing that seemed to happen overnight. As soon as Rhea walks in, I hear her classmates say, "Rhea's here" or "hi Rhea." Then, when we leave, Rhea will turn to whoever is next to her and say "bye Nicholas" or "bye Sammy."

All these social skills before the age of 2! Who knew?

No comments: