Saturday, August 8, 2009

Bye Bye Lauren

Today was a sad day - it was the day we say good-bye to Lauren and send her back to Virginia. Billy, Lauren and I have done this so many times, but it never gets easier.

As I type this Lauren and Billy are just getting ready to take off. Rhea and I dropped them at the airport a couple of hours ago and said our goodbyes. Lauren tried not to cry, but the tears started as soon as she was out of the car. And if the cops weren't rushing us along, I would have cried too -- I could feel my eyes watering.

It's going to be interesting to see how Rhea does with the goodbye. We've been talking about Lauren going home for a few days to try and prepare her, but at 22 months, I can't imagine she really understands what's going on. She absolutely loves her big sister and was so used to having her here, it's going to be an adjustment for her over the coming days.

But, as hard as the goodbyes are, I wouldn't trade all of the memories for anything. Watching Rhea and Lauren play together. Listening to Rhea tell Lauren to "come on" or "sit down." Rhea climbing into Lauren's lap and just cuddling with her. Lauren reading Rhea stories before bedtime. I really believe that these last 7 weeks have given them a bond that will continue to grow for the rest of their lives.

It was a fun 7 weeks too and all of us have lots of great memories. And, even though Rhea won't remember this time, I'm so happy that when she looks back thought the million pictures of her childhood that her sister, who lives hundreds of miles away, will be there.

So, we'll miss you Lauren, but as always, we'll see you soon!

No comments: