Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Snow Day!

The calendar might say March, but around here there are no signs of spring to be seen. In fact, yesterday we got a major snowstorm and watched as 10 inches of snow piled up. It has been a long winter and the more snow we get, the worst everyone's moods get. The only good part of the snowstorm was that Rhea and I got to enjoy a snow day together!

While Daddy shoveled and then worked, Rhea and I spent our day having fun. We watched some Yo Gabba Gabba, of course. And we introduced Rhea to Nemo. She seemed fascinated by the movie. Not so fascinated that she would sit for more than 20 minutes. But fascinated enough that she would ask to watch it and then would stare at the TV mesmerized for a little while. Although I knew she wouldn't watch a movie yet, I had to give us something to watch during our wind down/relax times other than Yo Gabba Gabba or Elmo!

Although TV was part of our day, we spent most of our time playing. We played with all of the toys in her playroom, like we usually do, but we also did 2 new things. We put all of Rhea's dolls and stuffed animals down for naps. We laid down a blanket and then Rhea put each doll/stuffed animal down one by one. Some she just placed down and others she put down with a firm "down." I realized she was being firm with them the way I have to be when I put miss wiggle worm down for her naps! After we had everyone down, we put another blanket over them and Rhea rubbed their backs to put them to sleep just like I do when I put her down! Then, we woke them up and did this all over again!

The other thing we did was "fix" Dancing Brobee and Elmo. Both of these are motorized, which means they have batteries. Well, yesterday morning, I gave Brobee to Daddy and asked him to change the batteries. Rhea watched intently as he used a screwdriver to remove the cover and then replace the batteries. The whole time she was watching him she was saying "uh-oh, uh-oh." Then as soon as he put Brobee down, Rhea grabbed him, and headed right for our tool drawer to try to fix him again. When I realized what she was doing, I found some safe "tools" she could use from the drawer (a tight capped sharpee and a never opened tube of paste) and she proceeded to fix Brobee and Elmo throughout the day. As soon as she saw either one, she would say "uh-oh," grab the tools and work on fixing them!

What a fun snow day!

1 comment:

mccashew said...

Sounds like a fun day! Caroline LOVES putting her dolls to sleep - it is a little crazy to watch them perform as the mommy isn't it? You can hear yourself echoed in their commands. So funny. My fav still to this day was the morning we heard her on the monitor saying, "No, No, No monkey, be nice!"