Monday, March 23, 2009

Blue Doesn't Always Mean Boy

I have a message for everyone - girls can wear blue too! Seriously, with Rhea's blue eyes, I love dressing her in blue, but every time I do, someone always assumes she is a boy, which is so annoying.

Whoa - you might be thinking. Where is this rant coming from? Well, it started last night at Bertucci's...

We were out celebrating Uncle Bryan's birthday. The food and company were good, but the service was awful. It was seriously the worst experience I have ever had. Think of everything that could go wrong and that is what happened to us. A long wait for our drinks, salads forgotten about, one meal never cooked and brought out after we were all done. Our dinner lasted more than 2 hours, which is fine, except for the fact that we had 2 babies with us and needless to say, sitting at a table to 2 hours is just not going to happen.

So, after a while, we let Rhea out of the high chair so she could walk around exploring the restaurant. After all, we had a hour to kill in between rolls and our meals! It was while we were walking that I had my latest blue run-in!

An older gentleman stopped me and actually complimented me on how well behaved Rhea was and how cute she was. But, this happy moment went sour when he told me the baby was especially calm for a boy! I wanted to say, no kidding - she's a girl! But, I didn't because I know he was trying to be nice. I just wish people would stop being so narrow minded. Yes, she was in a blue shirt and jeans. But, the shirt was light blue and dark blue stripes with flower buttons down the middle! And yes, she doesn't have a lot of hair, but if you look at her features she is clearly a girl.

So, the moral of this post is, just say what a well-behaved child you have and leave it at that! That way us mothers of daughters who don't wear pink every single day can enjoy the compliment too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on that!!!! Even more annoying is when the girls are in a PINK infant carrier...helllloooo people.