Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Go Away Rash

Operation Get Rhea Better continues. I did talk with a nurse from her doctor's office yesterday and she agreed that Rhea was having an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin and we were right to stop giving it to her as soon as we saw the rash. They want to make sure the medicine is completely out of her system before they start her on a new antibiotic, so they will not call in her new prescription until tomorrow.

In the meantime, we are giving her Benadryl to help with the rash. She started it last night and will take it through tomorrow morning. It seems to be working because her rash looks better already!

Unfortunately, all this waiting means that her ears are still bothering her. She was definitely not herself this morning. She was really cranky and at one point just stood in the living room crying. She didn't want to eat, didn't want to be held, she just wanted to express her unhappiness. I see yet another tooth coming in - another top tooth, this time on the left side, so I'm sure that is once again only adding to her misery. I feel so bad.

At drop off, Regina told me that Rhea wasn't herself at school yesterday either. She had fussy points where she would do exactly what she did this morning - just cry, almost inconsolably for a time. They checked and made sure she didn't have a fever and then tried to comfort her as best they could. I hope her day is going better today.

She did start her transition to her new classroom yesterday. She spent 2 hours in the morning in her new classroom and then went back to her current room for lunch and nap. From what I hear, she did really well. Sarah, who will be one of her new teachers, said Rhea took part in circle time in their room and she seemed completely comfortable. She will continue to spend a few hours each day this week in the new classroom and then they will move her over officially once they feel she is ready, which could be as early as next week. I just wish she felt 100% so she could enjoy making new friends. Hopefully soon...

No comments: