Thursday, December 3, 2009

I'm A Big Girl Now

That's Rhea's motto - she wants to drink her drinks "like a big girl" which means no cover. She wants to go up and down the stairs herself, "like a big girl" which means mommy and daddy cannot be directly behind her or help her at all. She wants to pick out her own clothes "like a big girl" which means shirts and pants that definitely do not match.

I find this growing independence to be both exciting and sad. I'm excited because she really is a big girl now. She can turn the light on by herself. She can reach into the silverware drawer and get her own spoon. She can put on and take off her own shoes now. It's helpful when I have things to do as well and I know it's part of the growing up process, but...

Part of me misses how much she used to need me. Not that long ago, I was the one who fed her, got her dressed, decided how she would spend her time. Now, in 2 short years, she's talking to me in full sentences, telling me what she wants to eat and wear. Wow - these kids really do grow so fast.

So, we do everything we can to encourage her independence and growth as a big girl. Monday, Rhea went to school with green pants, a purple shirt, white socks and brown dress shoes. Not because it was dress silly day, but because that's what she picked out. And last night when she wanted her strawberry milk in a cup with no cover, we let her, even though we knew she could spill, because we also knew that's the only way she'll learn.

The tough part is setting limits - encouraging her growth without letting her be in charge - not as easy as it sounded before I had a child! So, I guess that's what I'm learning now. We'll see which one of us gets this whole thing figured out first!

No comments: